Friday, April 6, 2007

Gifts

My trip to see the in-laws was just so, so good. I slept like someone who hadn't rested well in months. I sat in the sun and was quiet. I was proud of myself for facing my fear of flying, Adam and I had a couple of good meals, the weather was perfect, and we adopted a kitten! He just showed up on my mother-in-law's doorstep one morning and jumped in my lap.

"It's like God sent him to you!" said my sister-in-law, who's in recovery and believes that God is in charge of everything.

I'm doubtful. In fact, if I were one of the Seven Dwarfs, that would be my name. But this kitten does feel like a gift. And now that we're back home, the work of getting him settled in and integrated with our existing cat feels...satisfying. It gives me a place to put all my frustrated maternal instincts. It makes us feel like we can nurture life. It gives us something to focus on and laugh about.

1 comment:

wishy the writer said...

When my hubbie and I were going through infertility and international adoption, our dogs and our cats saved us. Truly. You nurture them. They nurture you. Beautiful.